Monday, August 23, 2010

Welcome to My Cooking Journey

Welcome to my Cooking Blog. I am starting this blog for a couple of reasons. The first is to be able to document and share some of my favorite recipes. The second is to document this culinary journey of learning how to cook and trying out new types of food and new cuisines.


To take you back, I have always been very skeptical about cooking. I never really enjoyed it but I think that was because I was intimidated about cooking. I was really good at baking, and always heard the saying you can usually either cook or bake, but not both. I think the reason I was really good at baking is because it is very precise and if you follow the recipe exactly, you typically get the results you are looking for. Cooking sometimes is to taste, and a lot of cooks don’t measure, so it’s hard to replicate what they did.

About 2 years ago I started watching various shows on the Food Network. I was also really into watching the Rachael Ray Show on ABC. I began joking that I was learning to cook through osmosis. For about a year I did nothing but watch the shows, and every once in a while, if I had friends over, I would try out a very simple recipe that I saw on tv. I was also obsessed with collecting recipes online. I would watch the shows and then print off the ones that looked good. I soon had a huge stack of recipes which I eventually organized into binders.

Finally about a year ago, I decided to start trying out new recipes each week. I think the first recipe I ever tried was from Giada at Home. I’ll have to post it so I can share. I then continued trying new recipes from Sandra Lee’s Semi-homemade show and from Giada. I would try one recipe a week and I would typically make it on Sunday so I would have left-overs to eat throughout the week.

Over time my confidence in cooking has grown, and now I love to cook. I am also addicted to the Food Network and love shows such as Down Home with the Neelys, Paula’s Home Cooking and of course Giada at Home.

My goal with this blog is to share my cooking journey and to possibly build friendships where we can share our favorite recipes. I’ll share the good, the bad and the just disastrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment