Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Crunchy Honey Chicken

I came across this recipe a few months or so ago, and it has become one of my favorites. It's one of those dishes that tastes great the first night, and seems to be just as good, if not better, the next night as left overs. I made it for some of my friends a few weeks back and they totally loved it.

I think what I love most is the sauce which is like a tangy sweet sauce which consists of soy sauce, a little garlic and lots of honey. The slight crunch from the chicken, snap peas and peppers makes it feel kind of hearty, but yet kind of healthy.

I have made a few changes to the original recipe, such as switching out the broccoli for more snap peas, but I think you could use whatever veggie you prefer. I have this weird love affair for snap peas and like to add them to lots of different dishes =) I get about 3 servings out of my version below and it is so delish. My variation is as follows:



Crunchy Honey Chicken
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is
About 3 servings

Ingredients:
-- 2 large skinless chicken breasts
-- 2 egg whites
-- 1/3 cup cornstarch (for dredging)
-- 1 package of frozen snap peas
-- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
-- 1 clove garlic, minced
-- 3 tablespoons olive oil
-- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or more if desired, yes please!)
-- 1/4 cup honey (or more if desired, yes please!)
-- salt and pepper to taste
-- rice (brown, white or whatever you prefer)

Directions:
Prepare and slice all veggies – feel free to add whatever you would like. In 2 separate bowls, add the egg whites (lightly beaten) and the cornstarch or flour. (The cornstarch will yield a “crispier” chicken).

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add veggies with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in soy sauce and garlic and stir so veggies are coated, about 60 seconds. Remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat the same skillet (or you can use a different one, I just use the same to make it easier) over medium-high heat and add remaining olive oil. Dip chicken pieces in egg whites and then lightly dredge in cornstarch. Add to the skillet and let brown for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Continue with remaining chicken pieces, and do so in batches if needed.

Once chicken is cooked, add veggies back in the skillet. Add honey and thoroughly mix to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, additional honey or soy sauce. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment