Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Creamy Potato and Leek Soup

The other day I mentioned that i LOVE leeks! I don't know what it is, but they just have this mild onion flavor that I am just loving. I am especially loving them with all things potatoes!

I also love creamy potato soup, and this soup is like liquid gold! It was so delish that I could not stop eating it! And it's not as bad as typical creamy soups because instead of using heavy cream, I used.....wait for it.....fat-free half and half. Yep, no fat, lower in calories, and still creamy! It totally worked and I will totally try this again with some other soups.

Creamy Potato and Leek Soup
Serves 4

Photobucket


Ingredients:



  • 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed


  • 2 cups of chicken broth


  • 2 leeks, chopped


  • 2 teaspoons margarine


  • 1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half


  • salt and pepper to taste


  • Kansas City steak seasoning (my secret weapon to spice up potatoes!)




  • Directions:
    1. In a medium pot over medium heat, combine the potatoes and broth and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
    2. In a separate skillet over medium heat, saute the leeks in the butter or margarine for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the leeks and the fat-free half and half to the potatoes and stir well. At this point you might want to take a potato masher and slightly thicken the soup.)
    3. Add salt, pepper and steak seasoning, or other seasonings you prefer, to taste.

    1 comment:

    1. Think I will try this recipe soon because I like the idea of using fat-free half and half to make it creamy without adding too much fat. Using the steak seasoning is really unique. I must try it, I'm so used to garlic and Italian seasonings and wanting to try something different --- bold but not spicy with too much heat.

      Also checked out your recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Think it would be a tasty soup when there is not much time for cooking. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete