When I came across this challenge, I thought what a great idea to not only help out the community, but to also help me become more familiar with what's available locally in our community as well. Plus it's always more healthy, and usually more tasty, to purchase local foods.
Local foods are heathier because they are freshly-picked and are more rich in nutrients and vitamins. You can find the following foods local to Ohio: tomatoes, peaches, corn, beets, beans, and more!
Here are the details to enter:
- Fill out a pledge card at one of our partner locations during Local Foods Week (August 11-19) or download a PDF card online.
- Snap a picture of yourself completing one of the local food challenge activities—we want to see you in action!
- Share on social media using any one of the following ways: a) upload your picture to Facebook and tag @LocalMattersOrg, b) tweet your picture with the hashtag #EatLocalOH, or c) email it to us directly at email@example.com.
- Spread the word! Tell your friends about the challenge and join us for some great events during the fourth annual Local Foods Week, August 11-19.
- Do your weekly shopping at a Farmers’ Market
- Challenge yourself to prepare a dinner using as many local ingredients as possible (and then of course, feast!)
- Visit the farm of a local food that you purchased.
- Try a vegetable or fruit that you’ve never tried before!
- Learn to can or preserve local foods so you can enjoy your jam all year long!
- Go berrypicking at a “U-Pick” farm
- Plant a fall garden.
- Buy a share of a farm through a CSA (community supported agriculture).