Friday, August 27, 2010

Squash and Zucchini Casserole

I tried this recipe a few weeks ago, and it was so delicious, I had to dig in before I could even get a picture (bad me!). This recipe came from the July/August 2010 issue of Cooking with Paula Deen, and I was shocked there wasn’t any butter in it (especially since Paula usually cooks with at least a stick of butter). This was in the “light and luscious” section of the magazine and it was a lightened makeover of one of her recipes. I halved the recipe because I was cooking for myself, but I am providing the full recipe below.


Squash and Zucchini Casserole

Ingredients:
-- 6 cups (1/4 inch thick) sliced yellow squash
-- 6 cups (1/4 inch thick) sliced zucchini
-- 1 teaspoon salt
-- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
-- 2 cups (1/4 inch thick) sliced yellow onion
-- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharper Cheddar cheese
-- 1 cup crushed reduced-fat round buttery crackers (Ritz)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400.

Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine squash, zucchini, salt and pepper. Arrange half each of squash and zucchini in a single layer on the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the onion, and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Top with crushed crackers. Cover and bake until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Uncover and bake until a lightly golden, about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. If I left out the crackers, this would totally fit my lower carb lifestyle ... Enjoying your site so I'm nominating you for my Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ ... Either way, hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete