Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pineapple Salsa and Homemade Tortilla Chips

I love making salsa, and I seem to be making some sort of salsa or dip every weekend. I am kind of addicted to perfecting the perfect salsa. This pineapple salsa is becoming one of my favorites, and I love making baked homemade tortilla chips. When made with whole wheat tortillas, they are lower in fat and calories than regular chips.


Pineapple Salsa

Ingredients:

-- 1 large can of pineapple tidbits
-- 1/4 of a red onion
-- 2 jalapeño peppers
-- 2 tablespoons of cilantro
-- 1 tablespoon lime juice
-- pinch of coarse salt to taste

Directions:

I like to put the red onion, jalapeño peppers and cilantro in a small food processor to dice. You can also put the pineapple in for a couple of pulses if you want it crushed a little more (that is what I did in the picture above). Then mix in the lime juice and salt and enjoy!

Homemade tortilla chips

Ingredients:

-- Whole wheat tortillas cut into triangles (1 makes about 8 chips)
-- Spray butter or olive oil
-- Coarse salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Cut tortillas into triangles and spread out on baking sheet. Spray with spray butter or brush with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle salt on one side. Bake for 5 mins, then turn them over and bake for an additional 2 mins until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment