Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chicken with Balsamic Pears

This recipe was in the October 2011 issue of Everyday Food. I have been craving some pears lately, and this recipe just totally hit this spot. The original recipe called for turkey cutlets, but I used chicken instead since I always have a ton of chicken in my freezer. I made sure to pound the chicken breasts down so they were rather thin and would cook quickly.

The pears really cook down and you get more of the tangy balsamic and thyme flavor, but with the texture of the pears. It was really good and it was still good the next day for leftovers.

Chicken with Balsamic Pears
October 2011 Everyday Food
**I halved this recipe and came up with 2 servings. Full recipe is below. I also used dried thyme instead of fresh.

Photobucket


Ingredients:
-- 4 chicken breasts, pounded thin (or turkey cutlets)
-- coarse salt and ground pepper
-- 3 tbs unsalted butter (I actually just used olive oil)
-- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
-- 3 garlic cloves
-- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves (I used dried and used about half since they were dried)
-- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
-- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
-- 2 tsp grainy mustard (I used honey mustard)
-- 2 pears, cored and sliced into thin wedges (I used red pears since this is what I could find at the store)

Directions:

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat 1 tbs butter (or olive oil) over medium-high. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through and brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate and tent loosely with foil.

Add 2 tbs butter (or olive oil) to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add shallots, garlic and thyme and then season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until shallots begin to soften, about 6 mins.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together broth, vinegar and mustard. Add pears to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 mins.

Add broth to mixture, cover and cook 5 mins. Uncover, increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until pears are tender and liquid is almost evaporated, about 3 - 5 mins.

Return chicken to the skillet, along with any juices. Toss to combine and serve.

This was also good the next day adding to some greens with some feta for a tasty salad. Served with acorn squash.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment