This recipe is very flavorful, filling and very healthy.
Stuffed Turkey Peppers
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 2/3 cup low-sodium natural tomato juice
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Couple shakes of red pepper flakes and salt to taste
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 assorted medium sweet bell peppers (red orange and yellow)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook brown rice according to package directions (I used a quick cooking brown rice).
- Meanwhile, add oil and onions to a large sauté pan over medium-high. Saute onions for 2 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add turkey, juice and seasoning. Cook until turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and black pepper, cooking, covered, for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fill a large pot half-full with water and bring to a boil. Cut tops from bell peppers and remove all seeds. Add bell peppers and tops to water and return to a boil. Cook, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove bell peppers and dry on paper towel. (Please note I did not do this step out of lazyness. I did do it one time and I didn't see a huge difference, but feel free to try it to make your peppers more tender).
- Drain rice and add to turkey mixture. In a glass dish, stand bell peppers and fill with turkey-rice mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and add bell pepper top. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!