Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sweet Basil and Blackberry Jam

There is just something about this time of year that makes me want to make jam. I think because I know fall and then winter is quickly approaching, it just makes me want to bottle up summer so I can enjoy during the cold winter months.

A few weeks ago Giada made this Sweet Basil and Blackberry Jam and I just had to make it. She mentioned this was a great way to use up some of your summar basil, and my basil was growing like crazy.

I have made this twice now, and I love putting it on my oatmeal in the mornings. I made some last Friday to take to my Grandparents who I visited last weekend in W.Va. We had some for dinner on our cresent rolls, which was also very tastey. It kind of almost tastes like a minty blackberry jam.

This recipe includes fresh orange juice (which you can also use from a carton if need be), lemon juice (also from a bottle if needed) and sugar which makes the basil really sweet and compliments the tart blackberries.

Sweet Basil and Blackberry Jam

Photobucket


Ingredients
  • One 16-ounce bag frozen blackberries, thawed, juice reserved (it's best to use frozen so you can use the juice)
  • 4 cups fresh basil leaves (3 1/2 ounces)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 large orange)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon (about 1 medium lemon)
Directions:
Place the blackberries and their juice in a medium saucepan and lightly mash with a fork. In a food processor, combine the basil, sugar, orange juice and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.

Photobucket


Stir the mixture into the blackberries and bring to a simmer over medium heat. 

Photobucket


Simmer until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.

Photobucket


Remove the pan from the heat and allow the jam to cool for 1 hour (the jam will continue to thicken as it cools). Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days (although I have been using mine for over a week).

Serving suggestions: Serve on toasted bread, alongside cheeses, or on lamb chops. Mix with yogurt and granola, or oatmeal, or layer in desserts or parfaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment